April 9, 2013

Quiet, and Seeing



Last week I had a day all to myself in the big city. THE Big City. A whole day to wander. I spent it in Chelsea climbing stairs and hopping on and off elevators in those old warehouses turned to art galleries. The scene interested me as much as the art, some of which was brilliant.

It felt a little like snooping as I found my way along the concrete hallways. The only sound was the tappity-tap of earnest interns at computers. Though their eyeballs were just above the reception counters in each gallery, they didn't even glance up. Tap. Tap. Tap. Poor dears. Dream job in the Big Apple. They mostly looked cold and nervous. But, I digress.

Did I mention that it was quiet? I didn't have to talk to anyone for a whole day. That never happens. Fourteen hours straight. Alone with my own thoughts in unfamiliar places. I got more clarity in one day than I'd have managed in a year of stolen moments.

Though I had two cameras with me, I took only two photographs. That day seeing was so much more important than anything else.

Fujifilm Instax Mini Instant Film
Fujifilm Instax Mini 50S Camera


No comments:

Post a Comment